The Cry, The Calling, The Victory
May 31, 2015 Speaker: Reid S. Monaghan Series: Judges: Partial Victories & the Faithfulness of God
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Judges 6–7
Our Stories, God’s Story
Partial and Unfolding
The cry (6:1-10)
The Calling of gideon (6:11-24)
The Struggle for Faith
Go in with God
Victory in God’s provision (6:25-7:25)
Tear Down the Alters
Victory in God’s Provision
What is Enough?
Victory in Jesus, God’s Provision
- What is the role of the Prophet is Judges 6:7-10? How does Jesus serve in a similar fashion in relationship to us today?
- Why does the Bible “revisit” redemption so often for us? In the Exodus, in what Jesus did for us, in what Jesus is doing and will do for us?
- Discuss the relationship between past victories, present hope and future promises. Why do all three matter deeply?
- The Gideon narrative is FULL of feeling. Read Judges 6:11-13. What is Gideon’s struggle?
- Multiple times in these two chapters Gideon seems to need reassurance? What do we see about ourselves here? What do we see God doing in relationship to Gideon throughout?
- Why can we see what God gives as insufficient? Why do we fear that God has not given us enough in order to take steps of faith and action in Jesus’ mission?
- Read 2 Peter 1 to close your community meditation. Focus on God’s provision for us, his promises to us and the sure word of prophecy of Scripture.