Pursuing Life in Multi-Ethnic Community
Topic: Topical Scripture: Philippians 2:1–2:11, Revelation 7:9–7:11
PURSUING LIFE IN MULTI-ETHNIC COMMUNITY: LESSONS FROM THE LIFE AND TEACHING OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
Urgency of Empathy
Willingness to Suffer
Role of Imagination
The Gospel: The Why and How of Our Pursuit
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the texts from Sunday (Philippians 2:1-11 and Revelation 7:9-12). What do you remember most from the teaching on Sunday? Discuss what stood out as you read through the passages this time.
- Discuss your own experience in regards to issues of race and ethnicity. How have these realities impacted your own personal story?
- What is your greatest hope for our church in pursuing life in multi-ethnic community? What is your greatest concern?
- Which of the lessons from the life and teaching of MLK Jr. (cultivating empathy, willingness to suffer for others and maintaining hope through imagination) do you find most personally challenging? Do any of these resonate with your own story?
- What might it look like for you to pursue genuine understanding and empathy for those of other ethnicities/cultures/life experiences? Be specific.
- Pray into each others’ stories in the area of pursuing life in multi-ethnic community. Pray into areas of hurt, disappointment and potential growth for each person.