The Mission of the Gospel Advances
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Acts 13:4–13:41
Acts 13:4-41: The mission advances
Who’s leading the mission? (v.1-3)
The Location (v.1a)
The Leadership (v.1b)
The Leading of the Holy Spirit (v.2)
[They] laid hands on them (v.3)
Who’s opposing the mission? (v.4-13)
Bar-Jesus: Who is the true Son of Jesus? (v.6,8)
The Hand of God (v.11)
John leaves? (v.13)
Who will fulfill the mission? (v.30-33, 37-40)
Where the mission IS NOT pointing to? (v.17-24)
Why Jesus? Why the Gospel? (v.23, 26-41)
Discipleship group questions
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (Acts 13:1-44). What do you remember most from the teaching?
- Looking at Acts 13:9-11. Do you ever consider the “powers of darkness” within your own life? What role ought the spiritual realm play in the life of the believer? Take time to pray for God’s continued protection over you and your families individually and collectively.
- Reread Acts 13:26-40. What stands out most to you? What surprises you? What things do you still question or don’t fully understand?
- It was mentioned on Sunday: “God’s pursuit of us is the beginning of His pursuit of others”. Think back over your life — identify at least 2-4 people in your life, whom God has used to pursue you? Share with one another and take time to pray for those people by name.
- The “Hand of God” is “the [physical] manifestation of God’s special presence among His children”. Where have you seen the “Hand of God” in your own life? In what specific ways have you seen the “Hand of God” in the life of those within your group?
- Looking at Acts 13:16-25. What has most compelling about Paul’s sermon? Is there anything within his sermon that is difficult to believe?
- In Acts 13:1-3, we see that “our communion with God enhances our calling from God”. Every Christian needs both nourishment within (community) and a sense of purpose without (mission). Consider your commitment to Jacob’s Well. In what specific ways could you be more involved in our church and your community?
- Identify at least 2-3 days this week to pray for the teachers and volunteers involved within VBS (especially if you are unable to attend at all this week). Please pray for the VBS leaders to have strength and opportunities to represent the Gospel. Please pray for the students to have fun, make new friends, and that their hearts would grow in understanding Jesus. Finally, please pray for salvation—please pray that many souls will be saved this week.