Singing in Chains
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Acts 16:19–16:40
Acts 16:19-40: singing in chains
The Purpose of Worship
Discipleship group questions
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (Acts 16:19-40). What do you remember most from the teaching?
- What role has worship/praise played in your own journey of faith? How has it changed over time? Has it changed for the better?
- Can you remember the last time you were deeply moved in worship? Describe that experience.
- Why do you think Paul and Silas were singing that night in prison? What do you think they were feeling? What were they expecting to have happen? What have we learned about Paul in Acts that might help answer those questions?
- Read Psalm 103:1-6 aloud together. In what situations might you need to speak to your own soul and call forth praise? What would this actually look like in your own life … in other words, how could you practically do the things spoken of in these verses?
- Read Hebrews 13:15-16 aloud together. How would you describe the relationship between obedience and what we normally call “worship”?
- On Sunday, we saw how God “turned the world upside down” in response to the praise of His people. Ask God to do the same in situations and circumstances around you. Be specific in your requests and then pray with confidence together to the same God who still acts in history today