Prepare The Way Of The Lord
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Isaiah 40:1–40:11
Prepare the way of the Lord: Isaiah 40:1-11
Intro: God's Anger & Mercy
Isaiah 40:1-5 (Peace of God)
Isaiah 40:6-8 (Promise of God)
Isaiah 40:9-11 (Presence of God)
Discipleship group questions
- Read Isaiah 40:1-11 aloud together. What do you remember most from the teaching on Sunday? What stood out to you as you read through these texts this time?
- In your opinion, what point is God trying to make by referring to Israel as "my people" and referring to Himself as "your God"? Does this give you comfort? Why or why not?
- Reread Isaiah 40:1-2. What is the meaning of the word "comfort"? What three promises was the messenger to give to the people? How, if in any way, do these promises give you comfort?
- On Sunday, it was said: "The seeds of comfort can take root in the soil of adversity". Read Isaiah 40:3-5. What preparation do you need to make in your life for the Lord to come to you?
- Read Isaiah 40:9-11. How do the pictures of the Sovereign Lord and a gentle shepherd help you better understand the character of God?
- When going through times of suffering, what attributes of God from Isaiah 40:1-11, provide you the most comfort and/or encouragement?
- Read Psalm 19:7-11. Is this your experience with God's Word? Why or why not?
- “Identity precedes function,” meaning: who we are before God (identity) matters much more than what we do for him (function). Is this a hard reality for you to believe personally? How so?
- On Sunday, it was said: "Public opinion changes and is unreliable, but God's Word is constant" Where in your life have you seen this to be true? In what ways is it difficult to believe?