Disciples Fan The Flame
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:1–1:7
Disciples Fan the Flame: 2 timothy 1:1-7
Introduction to 2 Timothy(vv. 1-2)
Descendants and Ancestors (vv. 3-5)
Fan the Flame of the Spirit (vv. 6-7)
Discipleship group questions
- Reread 2 Timothy 1:1-7. What stood out to you as heard this passage read?
- Who has most shaped your faith and how? If you’re not a believer, who has been most influential in leading you to this point in your journey of exploring Christian faith?
- Have you found practical ways to “fan the flame” of the Spirit? Put another way, what kinds of activities/practices/habits/contexts most quickly stir up your affection and boldness for God? Describe how that dynamic works (e.g.—why is it that worship seems to “fan the flame” for you?).
- What steps could you take this week to “fan the flame” with greater consistency and/or intensity?
- How do you react to the reality that you will one day be someone’s ancestor? What might that change about the way you interact with and behave around those to whom you’re closest? Be practical and specific.
- End your time by praying into what you’ve just discussed:
- Thank God for those who have most influenced your faith
- Pray for consistency in “fanning the flame” of the Spirit in your own life
- Pray for greater, godly influence in creating a legacy for those who will follow after you